» Profile of the Taiwan Nantou District Court
Founded on July 1, 1994, Taiwan Nantou District Court started to accept and hear cases on August 1 of that same year. The jurisdictional area of this court was formerly subordinated to Taichung District Court. At the inception of the institution, this court had only 96 employees with the annual cases received and heard at 28,922. After ten years of coming into its function and service, there are a total of 193 personnel currently with the annual cases received and heard at 68,981. The major building of Nantou District Court is located at No. 759, Chung Hsing Road, Nantou City, Nantou County of Taiwan, with its location in downtown area that draws it neighbored with some governmental agencies including Nantou County Government, Nantou County Council and Revenue Service Office of Nantou County that makes this court enjoy an advantage of convenient traffic.Located geographically in the center of Taiwan, Nantou County is 95-kilometer longitudinally and 72-kilometer horizontally that is neighbored with Hualien County in the east, with Changhua County and Yunlin County in the west, with Chiayi County and Kaohsiung County in the south, and with Taichung County in the north, making it the only county in Taiwan without costal line. Towering aloft in Nantou County, Central Mountain Range, Mt. Yu, and Mt. Ali are three of the five mountain ranges in Taiwan, with the highest Mt. Yu at Tung Pu in Hsin Yi Hsiang to be the most magnificent in Southeastern Asia.
Jurisdictional areas by Nantou County Government include one city, four towns and eight hsiangs. In response to the execution of Rules to Uphold Social Order and simplification of judicial proceedings to achieve to rapid hearing and closing for cause summariae or short cause as well as rapid services offered to people, Puli Summary Division and Nantou Summary Division were instituted to handle civil short cause and case violating the Rules to Uphold Social Order according to Article 10 of Court Structure Law and Article 36 of Rules to Uphold Social Order, with the criminal short cause to be handled and decided by judges of Criminal Court of this court that is heard in the name of summary division. Puli Summary Division is located in No. 640, Nan Huan Road, Puli Town, Nantou County and was started to coming into its function and service on July 10, 1995, with its jurisdictional areas including Puli Town, Kuo Hsing Hsiang, and Jen Ai Hsiang.Nantou Summary Division is located in No. 356-7, Chang Nan Road, Ming Chien Hsiang, Nantou County and was started to coming into its function and service on July 16, 1996, with its jurisdictional areas including Nantou City, Tsaotun Town, Chung Liao Hsiang. Chu Chi Town, Ming Chien Hsiang, Yu Chih Hsiang, Lu Ku Hsiang, Hsin Yi Hsiang, and Shui Li Hsiang.
Structure of Nantou District Court is divided into judicial system, non-contentious system, and administrative system.
- Judicial System
- It is classified into Civil Court (issues concerning election, labor, and household affairs are handled by designated personnel), Criminal Court (including Police Court, Traffic Court, and Juvenile Court) and Summary Division according to nature of cases received.
Litigant case heard by judges is the single-judge adjudicates system; serious, complex and electoral lawsuits or summary appealing cases would be heard and decided by three judges with one of them as the presiding judge that is called collegiate system. Each judge would be assigned one clerk for recording.
- Civil Execution Department: Civil forcible execution means that creditor files with Civil Execution Department to request for a forcible execution on debtor by enforcing him/her to fulfill his/her debts according to facts in the name of execution, to meet creditor’s request for proceedings of right of claim in private law.
- Establishment of Public Defender (assistor). If there has no any defender selected for one defendant committing the crime sentenced to a minimum three-year imprisonment or one mentally-retarded (juvenile) not being able to make a complete statement, or there has no such action due to other necessary conditions. Presiding judge will designate the Public Defender (assistor) for a free defense.
- Non- Contentious System
To achieve for rapid and economical judicial proceedings, general non- contentious cases will be handled by non- contentious proceedings. There institutes Non- Contentious Case Handling Center, Notary Public Department, Deposit Office, and Registration Department in Nantou District Court to handle non-lawsuit cases.
- Non- contentious Case Handling Center:
This center works to handle general and non- contentious cases which can be handled just to have a petition for, such as payment order, ruling cashier’s check, auction of object of pledge and public summons, for the sake of curtailing handling procedures to protect creditor’s interest. Due to easy and rapid procedures, the party concerned can obtain safeguard rapidly that leads to gradual increase of petitioners in recent years.
- Notary Public Department:
There establishes one Notary Public Department in this court, with one branch set in Puli, and the notary public will do office work each Wednesday. When handling notarial and authenticated issues, the notary public would not only conduct the form examination but also offer consultation services concerning law behaviors or facts of private right, eliminating all factors that may cause disputes at the hope of producing functions to safeguard privacy, prevent entanglements, alleviate source of lawsuit and pacify social order. To offer people dignified, economical and simple and convenient wedding service, Nantou District Court has one classical Court Wedding Hall available for those who intend to have the court wedding ceremony.
- Deposit Office:
Business handled covers: Deposit of liquidation: Draw and deposit money, negotiable securities or other movable property according to law, producing the effect of lawsuit warranty. Deposit of security: Draw or and deposit of lawsuit security money or collateral, producing the effect of lawsuit security.
- Registration Department:
Receive the registration of juristic persons and registration for husband-and-wife property contract.
- Non- contentious Case Handling Center:
- Administrative System
- The director will be performed by judge who will handle the administrative affairs of this court as well as try cases.
- There is one clerk in Clerk Department who is in charge of handling administrative affairs by following the director’s order and supervise all affairs in the department. Civil Recording Section, Criminal Recording Section, Civil Execution Recording Section, Summary Division Recording Section, Research, Development and Evaluation Commission Section, Clerical Section, General Affairs Section, and Judicial Police Office are subordinated to Clerk Department. Besides, Personnel Office, Accounting Office, Statistics Office, Government Ethics Office and Information Office are in charge of handling their own administrative affairs respectively
Administration of law aims to punishing in education to lead to a harmony. Judicial works work not only in promoting justice, safeguarding private rights, and not abusing law, but to be committed to transforming the vicious ones into kind ones as well as turning the bad into the good. By adhering to this objective, Nantou District Count not only receives and tries cases to appease lawsuits and disputes as well as promotes computerization of judicial business, cultivates research customs, rectifies judicial disciplines, promotes legal knowledge, carries out rapid services, at the hope of enhancing judgment quality and upholding judicial dignity and credit to strive for a philosophy of "Administration of justice of education, administration of justice of service, and people's administration of justice".